Travel to a developing country as part of your course

Within the framework of academic and scientific cooperation for development, the Académie de Recherche et d'Enseignement Supérieur (ARES) offers several funding opportunities to carry out a project, research work or work placement in one of the 29 countries covered by the university cooperation program. These calls are part of ARES' Global Citizenship Education (GCE) program. This program aims to raise awareness of the values, attitudes and behaviors that underpin responsible global citizenship.

29 pays ARES

Funding opportunities

Two types of funding for mobility in a developing country are available:

Travel grants (Bourses de voyages)

The "Travel Grants" program enables students to carry out a research experience (full/partial stay) for a final thesis, or an experience in a professional environment. This mobility must be valued in ECTS in the student's curriculum. These grants provide funding for travel (mainly round-trip tickets for non-grant-holders) to one of the 29 ARES partner countries.

Depending on the financial resources available, a joint call is launched by ULiège. The "Mobility Fund" is used to finance eligible applications not received by ARES, or eligible applications from outside ARES partner countries. To find out whether the country in which you wish to spend your stay is eligible for the Mobility Fund, please contact PACODEL.

Student microprojects

Microprojects finance short-term projects (up to 12 months) in one of the 29 partner countries. These projects are carried out by a team of students in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (FWB) and by a team of students in the partner country. The students are supported by a promoter in Belgium and a sponsor in the partner country. The aim of these projects is to raise awareness of a sustainable development theme. They cannot be included in the students' curriculum.

Discover the mobility experiences of other students
ARES Moove platform

Practical details


Bourses de voyage


  • Être étudiant régulièrement inscrit dans un établissement d’enseignement supérieur (EES) de la FWB ;
  • Être régulièrement inscrit en Master, Master de Spécialisation ou Bachelier (avec 120 ECTS validés) ;
  • Effectuer un stage ou une mobilité de minimum 30 jours calendrier (= durée renseignée sur la convention) ;
  • Que la mobilité soit validée par l’ULiège (modus) et le promoteur (lettre de recommandation).

En savoir +

iconeInfo Two annual calls are organised. You should apply to the call related to your dates of mobility:

- Stay from January1st to August 31st: first call (application to be submitted between September and November)
- Stay from July1st to December 31st: second call (application to be submitted between February and April).




  • Une équipe étudiante de la FWB (d’une même ou de différentes institutions)
  • Une équipe étudiante dans le pays partenaire
  • Un promoteur belge (= Professeur dans l’EES d’appartenance des étudiants de la FWB)
  • Un parrain dans le pays partenaire (= Professeur dans l’EES d’appartenance des étudiants du pays partenaire)

En savoir +

For help in preparing your application, or to receive more information about these calls, please contact the administrative managers at PACODEL.

To apply for an internship abroad, you need to request authorization from the Rectorat before your departure: ONLINE PROCEDURE.

Nous contacter

Par mail :

Share this page